Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy

SO the Queer Theory isn't anything new to me. I actually had a big section on it in one of my media and identity classes. And A lot of interesting things were said about it. The Queer theory actually arose from Foucault's power/pleasure theory. It said that homosexuality leads to fatality.
It is funny to see that in general, when people hear the term "queer Theory" they think of homosexuality and being a gay or a lesbian. But in reality, it includes much more than that. As Jagose pointed out in her article, Queer "describes those gestures or analytical models which dramatize inconherencies in the allegedly stable relations between chromosomal sex, gender, and sexual desire."

When I read this definition, a specific media identity comes to my mind; that is Jack from "Will and Grace." He is super-gay, and definitely reflects what it means not to be a heterosexual man.
But the other example that comes to my mind is the show called "The Queer eye for the Straight Guy." It is a show about a group of 5 gay men who are trying to style heterosexual men in order to improve their lives.
Below is a clip. What do you guys think? I think that shows like this, although comical, further the stereotype of what it means to be a homosexual.


8 comments:

  1. I deff agree, whenever I heard someone mention the "queer theory" I automatically assumed it was referring to homosexuals. I had no idea all that it encompassed until I read the article- good thing!

    PS. LOVE this clip... it was deff a comedic release to my stressful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first thought of Jack, also! that show is great

    ReplyDelete
  3. Queer Eye is a good example because I feel like heterosexual men watch this show and therefore, have a QUEER relationship with it (as explained by Doty).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I agree, I mean I definitely usually associated "queer" with gays and lesbians before reading this article and becoming more in the know! Anyway I love both of the shows that you mentioned, theyre good examples!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Brianna. I think its really a good example because a lot of straight men have had a positive response to the show and though i've never seen the show, i believe they only makeover straight men?

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes... they only make over the straight dudes.
    ironically.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely,the basic premise of this show suggests that gay (men...where are the women?) have a certain set of intrinsic qualities and predilections that straight men do not. Although they are considered as positive qualities, they none the less reductive.

    ReplyDelete