Thursday, November 12, 2009

In true "me" fashion...

this isn't exactly finished yet. But eventually my thesis will have something to do with how the television show Veronica Mars problematizes its' narrative of empowerment by constantly putting its' hero in situations where she is victimzed. By positioning Veronica within these limits, the show promotes the message that if a girl defies her normal role she will be punished through both emotional and physical traumas. Therefore Veronica Mars manages to be a strong, independent female character while simultaneously advancing an agenda of reinforcing traditional gender roles. This really doesn't make sense the way its written right now, but my writing is not going to improve at this point in the morning. Anyway, I'm probably using the pilot episode or the season two finale to show this. And this will come together better eventually, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment