Monday, November 16, 2009

Black Women & Music

When I read Hook's article I immediately thought about contemporary music and how black women specifically are portrayed. With all the glamour and fame that some artists have attained, such as Beyonce and Rihanna, they still reiterate some of the degrading stereotypes that have been associated with black women over the years. As Hook claims there has been a great "fascination with black butts" (p.63), which has been heavily seen primarily in music. The women are always wearing skimpy clothing, extremely revealing and accentuating the behind area as well as their breasts. They are extremely hypersexualized in the rapper videos. Hook states that the women are associated with being accessible, available and sexually deviant (p. 66). I was recently listening to some new music and there happens to be a new Beyonce song out with Lady Gaga. There are two collaborations done with them and Beyonce's version is titled "Videophone." In this song, she is wearing very sexual and revealing outfits, but what stood out to me the most were her song lyrics. They say, "if you want me, you can see me on your videophone...press record, baby film me." She continues to sing this along with Lady Gaga and struts around with her sexy dance moves. Now Beyonce is the ultimate stunning. I love her. I think she is one of the most talented vocalists in the music industry today. Now, with that said, she is known for her curvy body and her behind, but it has always been looked at from her as a positive image, which I believe it is. But I'm curious to know the mixed messages she is now sending with her lyrics of "press record, baby film me." She is really promoting sex. I know sex sells and all that jazz, but it's interesting to think about whether or not she is sending mixed messages.

Here's the video:

1 comment:

  1. hm! I never heard about or heard this song before. This video seems extra sexy (but what else is new, hah), I just don't understand what the mixed message you mention is. Anyway, I agree that black women in music videos have more emphasis on their butts than white women (only because I can't really think of any examples).

    ReplyDelete