Lady Gaga is a pop artist who considers herself a "performance artist" and has obsessive control over all elements of her costuming, aesthetics, and performances. She's said publicly that this video was inspired by the death of Princess Di:
"It has a real, genuine, powerful message about fame-whoring and death and the demise of the celebrity, and what that does to young people. The video explores ideas about sort of hyperbolic situations that people will go to in order to be famous. Most specifically, pornography and murder. These are some of the major themes in the video."
It also stars Alexander Skarsgård (Eric from True Blood).
Some questions for analysis: (post your thoughts in the comments)
- What do you think is the main theme of the video?
- What other media does Gaga reference?
- How would you analyze the gender roles in this video?
- What do you think of the crutch dance?
- Do you agree with Gaga's assessment of her video? Do you think she is successful?