Monday, September 28, 2009

Appropriation: Creating Filipino Humor

Question: What does a Filipino-American do when he/she visits their home country, where the dollar is equivalent to fifty pesos?
Answer: Shop! Oh, and reunite with loved ones.

The last time I was in the Philippines, I went to 34567876543 malls taking advantage of the dollar-peso rate exchange. While reading the appropriation section of Chapter 2, I immediately remembered the time when I was walking through one of the malls and seeing one of the stands that sold T-shirts with various worldwide logos recreated to make Filipino humor.

Below are just some of the examples that I remembered:


I remember thinking that, upon seeing these, the makers were so clever! My dad even got a kick out of it and his sense of humor is pretty weird.

I'm sure you all know about appropriation and what it means and I'm sure that I won't be the only one that is going to blog about it so I'm not going to bother quoting directly from the book.
Ugh, ok fine. The right column of Filipino humor images, according to Sturken and Cartwright, change "the meaning of cultural products, slogans, images, or elements of fashion," and in this case, familiar logos that are universally known (59).

No comments:

Post a Comment